Twin SE106 Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin SE106 Experience

I replaced my old pre alpha drives with SE106's. The spipping was incredibialy fast. It took 4 days from Flordia to Washington state.
    The cost of the drives was less than 1/2 of what OEM alpha drives would have cost.
    While putting the upper and lower together on one of the drives, I noticed that the shift lever was not pointing straight forward when the drive was in forward gear.
    I thought that I was off a tooth on the shift shaft. I split the upper and lower and tried to adjust it. When I moved it over a tooth either way the position of the shift lever was way off straight forward. I had another shift lever and tried it, with the same result. So I put it in the position where it was closest to straight forward when shifted into forward gear.
    When I installed the drive on the boat, It was difficult to install due to the shift lever not being straight forward. The Shift lever was pointing I guess 3 or 4 degrees towards the reverse direction. Before I put the boat in the water, I attempted to make sure the adjustments
    to the shifting linkages were close and that the shifting was smooth. With the engine running (with water)
    I adjusted the port drive. When I tried to adjust the starboard drive I could not fully engage reverse gear.
    When I called SEI, I explained the problem I was asked if I had my old drive, and to take the shift shaft out of it and replace the shift shaft in my new drive with it. I did do that and found that the shift lever was now straight forward when forward gear engaged. I adjusted shifting cables successfully, put the boat in the water and started the break-in period.
    It turned out that the splines on the shift shaft are not lined up. You can visually see it.
    When I was changing the shift shaft, I noticed that the O ring in the shift shaft bushing was deformed/destroyedlooking like it was caught up in the threads during installation. Because of this the bushing was very hard to remove, and I ended up breaking my tool to remove the bushing. I ended up Tapping it out with a hammer and screwdriver. I called SEI and requested a new shift shaft bushing and shift shaft. They replied that I would receive them in the mail in a few days at no cost.
    I now have 12 hours on the break-in and every thing seems A-OK. The shifting is good. There is a slight whine/growl but it all seems normal.
Working...
X