Drive Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Installation

When I try to install the new unit, it stops about 2 inches from closing all the way. In a comparison of my old shaft, the new drive shaft appears to taper larger than my old shaft right after the teeth. This is in a 1985 Welcraft Scarab 260 hp mercruiser if this helps.

Have you checked the engine alignment? Is the gimbal bearing in good shape?

Let me know,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

The gimbal is good. I was being to gentle, not wanting to force on the unit. After reading some other forums, I found that they dont always just slide right into place. It needed a little "bump"I guess I just got lucky in the past. After taking measurements I determined that the shaft size & shape works just fine. It's on now and we ran it for about an hour on the lake. It runs great!

One question... It makes a hum only when in gear forward or reverse, but it's only audible during non planing speeds, and seemed to get quieter with time. I assume this is mormal for a new dive? After the last drive flew apart ( not one of yours) 18 miles up Lake Powell, I may be listening too closely to every little noise. I'll let you know after I get a few more hours on it. Thanks for the great tech support!

Comment

It is normal for them to have a little bit of noise. It should quiet down as it breaks in.

I'm glad you got it on, let me know if you need anything else,

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X