lower unit leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit leaking

Bought a used boat and the gear box went out. I replaced the gear box with a new sterndrive gear box. I got it together and now I have a oil leak. I pulled the lower and top units apart and replaced the small seal between the two units as it looked like it needed to be replaced. It still is leaking I really have no idea where this may be coming from. I looked at the water pump when I had it apart and it does not look like it was leaking from there. I looked at the seal by the shift rod looked OK but could it be leaking from there. At whits end and the season is almost coming to an end here in North Dakota would lik eto get a couple good week-ends in before the end.

The best way to find a leak is to pressure test it with no oil in it.
    Pump it up to 15 psi and listen for the leak, or spray soapy water
    on all of the seal area's. It is best to pressure test it complete first, and then check the halves individually.

Tech support

Comment

pressure testing

What is the best way to pressure test the out drive?To see if there are any leaks.

Comment

Basically you want to get about 12 to 15 psi into the unit. They make a specific pressure pump for this purpose, however you could probably fashion something out of a cheap bicycle pump and the plastic fitting that goes on the hose for your oil pump.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X