Ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ratio?

I am looking at buying a complete SE 106, how do I know which ratio to buy? I have a 1987 Sea Ray 210 Monaco with a 454 (I know, not a stock option, original owner had it installed) with the Alpha 1 outdrive. I do mostly skiing and tubing, a little pleasure boating.

Your unit may be a 1.32 to 1 ratio. The best bet would be to pull the top cover and count the teeth.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check tonight. I'm also curious about shipping charges, are there any, how much? I'm in Northern Colorado.

Comment

Shipping to Coloroado would be $50 per half, so if you order a complete it would be $100.00

Thanks,

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

OK, I need some more advice. I called to order the drive and you don't carry the 1:32/1 ratio that is in mine. The closest you have is a 1:47/1 but the gal I talked to there said I would probably have to re-pitch my prop. This isn't a stock prop anyway, I don't even know what pitch it is, it's a five blade stainless steel. The original owner had the gears changed out in the drive before, I don't know what the stock gears were. Can I make the 1:47/1 work? Is prop pitch that critical after changing ratios? Advice?

Comment

OK, more food for thought, if I were to replace only my lower unit, so I can keep my gears and prop, how do I flush the upper unit to make sure I get all the metal that was in the oil, out of the case, bearings and gears?

Comment

A 1.47 would work. People generally use the 1.32 behind the big block engines because they are stronger. You would most likely need to repitch or change the prop. I would guess about 2 inches, but of course you would have to try it and see where you are RPM wise with your current prop and go from there.

You could also just change the lower and that would avoid any prop changes as the gear ratio is determined by the upper gears.

The reason we don't make the 1.32 is because they are typically behind big blocks. We don't warranty our drives behind big blocks because depending on how the boat owner uses the boat it will not last as long.
              The 454 puts out too much torque for these smaller drives, which is why they were only offered from the factory for 2 years.

Tech Support

Comment

Pulled the upper and lower unit apart, confirmed it was the lower, can barely even turn it by hand, grinds pretty good when I can move it. Ordered a new lower Saturday from you folks, hopefully get it within a week. I'm going to get my prop down to Denver, have it checked for balance and trueness. It would be nice to get it back in the water soon!

Comment

Hate to be a pain, I ordered my lower unit this weekend, when it's ready to be shipped will I get an e-mail, so I can track the shipment? And , if there is a problem shipping, like orders way behind, would I be notified? Also, if I want to add to my order, say a complete install kit, can I call that in?

Thanks,
                  Tim

Comment

Tim,

Email me with your order number and/or full name to sales@sterndrive.cc and I'll get back to you with your ship date.

Thanks,

SEI Sales

Comment

Working...
                    X