seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seal question

hey folks, since i am doing the cobra conversion, i have to guess at some of the parts locations since i didn't take them off that way, my main question is, in the hardware kit there is a large 3+ inch o ring that is square cut and quite thick, the only place i can see it going is on the nose of the upper drive going into the bellows, now i dont know why it would need a seal there, but thats all i can figure any help will be apreciated,

thanks,

nick

That large o-ring goes inside the bellhousing against the silver sleeve. The drive once installed will create a seal between the drive and the bell housing.

Tech support

Comment

ok, so i probably have it right i placed it around the input shaft nut, it seemed like it would stay better there than just putting it in the bellows against the silver piece. that should be in the same place. but, if all the other seals function properly, it wont matter much if it is not perfect will it? it seems like a backup seal if anything

oh, and thanks for the quick reply i appreciate the help and will probably post my cobra conversion experience on here with the admins permission when i am done,

thanks,

nick

Comment

Technically it is supposed to be placed in the bellhousing, but I think you will probably be ok. Please do post in the experience section when you are all finished.

Tech support

Comment

I'll be glad too, however, if you have a chance let me know what that actually seals, the possibility of oil/water in the bellows reaching the gasket from the inside and possibly breeching it and tainting the water or oil passage.

also i saw in front of the shift rod, on the lower unit, a plastic looking nipple/protrusion that had an orange o ring on it, there is no instruction on that in the install or conversion instructions does it matter or is that part of an optional system?

thanks.

Comment

It is a bit of a mystery, but my guess is it is to stop water that may make it past the paper gasket from getting into the bellow and then into the boat.

Tech support

Comment

The protrusion may be the speed pickup. the large rubber ring should be glued into the housing first,this insures is does not get dislodged during installation or you will get water in the main bellows.This link may help you understand a typical outdrive install .
              http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X