This can't be good .. . ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This can't be good .. . ..

So I am getting the boat ready for the coming season and I set it up to change the gear lube. I run it a few minutes to get it warm to help the lube drain out and I notice it is making a light growling noise.

I pull the top plug and pull the bottom and there is a large amount of metal on the magnet and the lube is jet black with metal in it and smelling burnt.

The drive shifts fine (had a warranty repair last summer) but judging by the lube and metal I guess this guy has some bearings breaking down somewhere.

There was about a quart and a half of lube so it wasn't low and the lube changes up to this point have all been clean with very few fine metal particles, if any, on the magnet.

The unit is still under warranty. Is there something to try before I call for warranty service?

Thanks!

Is this your first lube change

How new is the outdrive, I assume sei drive.
    Have you ever changed the oil in the outdrive?
    What type of oil are you using?

Comment

How many hours were put on the drive since the last oil change? It looks like what I would expect from having 30 or so hours on original oil with new gears.
      You could just change the lube and then run a few hours and check it again. Otherwise call the warranty dept and they will take care of you.

Tech support

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The 116 is over 2 years old and as stated the lube changes always looked clear, including the first 10 hour break-in change. The drive has been great until last summer the shift spool went bad and was replaced under warranty.

There are about 20 hours on the drive since last season. It shifted good and I didn't really notice any noise while at the lake. However when I fired it up to warm the lube so it would drain I heard it growling in either gear.

I have been using the QuickSilver lube and it is usually clear, not black and burnt smelling like this.

Given the evidence I will call service for return.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X