Brass Shift shaft adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Shift shaft adjustment

I'm not sure if I'm adjusting Brass Shift shaft correctly. I’m a newbe to the boat world and I’m installing a se106 on to a 1981 merc. 228. The old out-drive is locked in gear so I have no reference to the position of the shift shaft when in or out of gear. When I set the controls to forward position the saddle for the shaft is straight but when I position the shift shaft the same way it appears that the drive is in neutral. Where have I gone wrong? Second question is when I’m sliding the drive in to position it will stop and will not go in the last few inches. What am I doing wrong?

It would seem that you have the alignment incorrect between the lower unit and the brass shift lever. You need to rotate the brass lever all the way clockwise until it locks into gear. Then pull the brass lever straight up and put it back on at the straight ahead position. You will need to split the upper and lower a little bit to be able to do this.

As far as not going in all the way, once you get the brass lever lined up you will be able to have it in forward gear. Then when you get to the point where the drive won't go in, rotate the prop counterclockwise a little bit. This will turn the shaft on the upper and allow the splines to line up with the engine coupler.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Thank for the information. I was able to get it adjusted correctly but I’m still running into problems putting the drive in. It seams that that drive shaft will only go into the motor about inch and then it stops, and will get jammed in and become very difficult to get back out. I have made sure that the old drive shaft is the same as the new one and they are. I removed the shaft off the old drive so that I cold see if I could get it to slide in and it will also only go in about an inch and when just stop and become jammed. I’m I doing something wrong or dose it appear it time to take it to the shop?

Comment

You could remove the o-rings from the shaft to see if that is whats holding it up. If it goes on without the o-rings, then you just need to be a little more forceful when you put it on.

Also, is the engine alignment right? If that is off, then it can be hard to get the drive on.

Is it on enough where you can tell that the splines are engaged?

Tech support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Yes, splines are engaged. I used a bead of grease on the driveshaft to see how far I was sliding in but it will only go in a little bit then stop. Do you think I'm dealing with an alignment problem?

Comment

It may be an alignment problem. Did you take the o-rings off and try it? It doesn't sound like you are in far enough for that to be an issue, but its worth a shot.

Also do the splines on the engine coupler look good? they should be fairly square when you look at them. If they are pointed then they are worn which could indicate an aligment problem.

If you still can't get it, give me a call on tuesday and we will figure it out.

Tech Support

727-461-0811

Comment

Working...
            X