Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal

Do you have the up to date seal technology on the pinion gear drive? I just had a seal failure on my 86 Alpha and I just bought one of your drives to replace it. Merc updated their's and got sued for patent infreng. I hope you guys have this problem licked. I don't won't to go through it twice. Other than that, can't wait to get it on and going. Kudos for taking Merc on.....very tired of dealing with them and their attitude! Like to see their 75% Outdrive market share go way down! If your drive works out, I'll start recommending it. The price is fantastic!

Xeno

I am not really sure what seal you are talking about. The only patent infringement I am aware of is concerning the seal for the shift shaft in the bell housing.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

You passed the test! It wasn't the seal in front of the carrier assembly. Check out the lawsuit at http://www.ipmall.fplc.edu/hosted_re...abcd/lough.htm
      Nice to know the people I'm dealing with know their stuff! Oh, I'm gonna rebuld the 86 Alpha and use it as a spare...I have 2 boats that can use it. I cant't remember what part in the lower unit, in 86, that Merc had a tensile strength propblem with. That will the only part I'll need to replace if I didn't get any damage in the unit. Please advise if you can remember.
      Thanks, Xeno

Comment

If your going to rebuild the unit you will most likely want to replace the seals. Your in there, so you may as well do it. As far a a tensile strength problem goes, I'm not sure what part you are thinking of. Possibly the drive shaft with the o-ring groove in it. Mercury changed that along time ago. Also the newer (the last 6 years or so)lower unit gears are of a much stonger design. They changed from a 17-28 tooth count to a 13-21 tooth count. And of course you will want to install a new pinion nut if you take it apart that far.

By the time you put some parts into it and take your time into consideration, you may be ahead of the game to just pick up another drive from us. All of the parts are brand new, so we don't have to worry about using a questionable used part.

Thanks,

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

As I stated earlier, I've got a 106 on the way. The 86 Alpha will be rebuilt by me and used as a spare for both my boats. That OD lasted 20 years till a upper unit seal failure (should've had a reservoir on it). No large metal in the lower unit oil it just turned silver/grey. If I'm lucky, all I'll have to do is replace the seals and nut, as you suggested, and the part I'm trying to remember...it seems like it was something on the shift spool that made it jump out of reverse which mine did occasionally. There was a service bulletin put out on it but I can't find it now. The problem was resolved as running production change in late 86. I've got enough parts on hand to rebuild the upper unit so buying 2 106s is out of the question. Plus I've got to much invested in special tools over the years not to fix it. I'm trying this 106 out to see if I want to go the SE route in the future in lieu the other rebuilds I do for other people.

Comment

I think the bulletin your looking for is from 89. I thought the change had to do with the counter rotation drive, but I could be wrong. They changed the design of the shift spool slightly. They show it in service manual #6 page 3B-2

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Justin,
              It was the castle nut...it had a really low Rockwell. Merc didn't discover the problem until well into 86 that their inventory was to soft. Hopefully that will be the only part to replace. My rebuild will only be a spare to be slapped on and used till I get which ever drive replaced or fixed. No down time on either boat! What's the Rockwell on yours?

Comment

I know when we did the R&D work on the shift spool we did specify that our castle nut be hardened. I just checked one of our production pieces and it showed 47 Rockwell on the C scale.

Tech Support

Comment

That's plenty hard! How about sending me one? Got EMail from one of your dealers....my 106 will be here today! Ordered on Monday arrives on Thursday..not bad. I'll let your testimonials know how it goes.

Comment

I think I can help you out with the castle nut. Send me an email at tech@sterndrive.cc

Comment

Working...
                    X