Engine alignment 4.3 v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine alignment 4.3 v6

Hi I have rebuildt my omc transom using the sei conversion kit. Everything worked out wery smooth and i used approx 4 hours on the job.

Here comes the problem. I thought i had aligned the engine good enough, but when i was out on the sea there was a grinding sound coming from the transom and it smellt a little burnt rubber. The sound was not loud and i did not run fast, but i guess this will have to be fixed.

My question is this: Has anyone rebuildt their system using the sei kit and a merc leg? Do u know if the engine needs to be lowered or raised for the alignement to be correct?

I am hoping that i do not need to lift the boat out of the water to do this Shouldnt it be possible to hear when the noise dissappears?

The alignment does not change by going to the SE116 drive. In fact, if you look at your old drive, you will see that they use the same shaft that goes into the engine.

If the alignment is not correct, it could certainly cause some problems. The proper way to check the alignment is with the drive off and using an alignment tool. I don't think you could be accurate enough trying to do it in the water with the drive on. Also if the burning rubber smell was from the engine coupler, then it will need to be replaced as the only way to get a burning smell from it is if it has spun.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X