U-joint boot replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-joint boot replacement

I purchased a complete SE-106 from you folks a couple of years ago. No issues with the unit that were not self-inflicted. The boat has not seen much service for whatever reason, but I finally launched it in July and docked it in front of the house. Went to go for a ride a few days later and much to my horror the boat was sinking. I rescued it, (and fixed the automatic bildge pump) and once I dried it out, the source of the leak was discovered. It was leaking around the drive shaft. I assume this means the drive bellows is junk. I see you sell a bell-housing seal kit. Do I need special tools to replace the bellows (all 3)? I also see no adhesive is included in the kit. The shop manual insists that this must be used. I know how to remove and install the drive, I had to do it more times than I like to admit during the initial installation. (until I threw the shop manual away and followed your guide).

Thanks

Another possibility is that the large o-ring that goes into the bell housing got shoved into the bellows when installing the drive. I have seen this happen before and it will allow water to get into the bellows.

To answer your question, there are a couple of special tools. One is a hinge pin tool to remove the hinge pins. You can fake it with the right size allen wrench. I can't remember the size off the top of my head. These pins are extremey tight and I usually use a breaker bar to get them loose. The other special tool is an exhaust bellows tool. This allows you to stretch out the round exhaust bellows onto the oval flange that is on the bell housing. You can do it without the tool, but make sure there are no kids around to hear the inevitable cursing.

Bellows adhesive is recommended and can be purchased from your local marine dealer, or even a West Marine if you have one near by.

Tech Support

Comment

sounds like fun! I definitely check the O-ring first, that was a bugger to get right without pinching it. I may take the boat to a repair shop if we need to go further than this. I have other irons in the fire. As for the cursing, the neighbors have already heard that! Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X