Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper unit

Justin,
    In putting the units together I noticed that it appears your using the same upper unit shell for both 106 and 116. The hole for the oil reservoir is on my 106 and it's in the picture on the assembly guide.. I'm running this boat in salt water a lot and I don't care for the idea of saltwater sitting in this hole. Would it be adviseable to seal with silicone? My units went together like it had a preload pin, somewhat tight the last 1/4" or so, but everything seems to move OK.
    :?: Xeno

I was wrong. I'm so use to working on Alphas I didn't realize this hole is normally covered with that egg shaped washer that's attached with a screw. I don't know why Mercs are designed that way when all the other washers are standard? Anyway, the SE unit isn't tapped for this screw. Should the hole be left as is? That hole must be used for some machining process cause I don't know why it's there or what purpose it serves. I never asked before.

:idea: Xeno

Comment

I got a egg washer off an old Alpha shell and the screw is self tapping. I reused the washer and the screw was to small to reuse in the SE unit. It takes a 3/16X 3/8 self tapping... I used a 3/8 SS hex head to drive it in. The egg washer only goes on one way or it want line up. The hole is plugged up and water want sit in it now.

:idea: Xeno

Comment

Glad you got it figured out, sorry for the late response. I think most people install them without the washer. If you do want to install the washer you can tap the hole for 1/4 20 thread and use a S/S screw to install it.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X