Conversion Kit installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion Kit installation

I just ordered my complete conversion package today. I've been doing a lot of research on this product so that I can get the installation done quickly and correctly once the parts arrive.

I have 3 questions as I was unable to find any info on this.

1) Exhaust bellows. I believe the conversion kit only comes with the drive bellow and NOT the exhaust bellow. Do I need to get my own or not install one? I'm unclear on this. If I have to get my own which one do I get - OMC or Mercruiser?

2) The SEI instructions state that the throw of the shifter must be changed in order for the shifter to correspond with the Forward and Reverse correctly. I have the original OMC shifter from 1989. Straight T stick with red trim button on left and red shift buttton on right. Will i be able to use this original shifter controll to accomplish the install? If i need a new shifter which model shifter do you recommend?

3) Will my Cobra propeller work with the SE116 drive? If not should i get same pitch prop for the SE116 as i had on the Cobra?

thanks
    Last edited by HighLine; 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM.

I see you added a third question since we talked on the phone. For everyones benefit I will answer them all here.

1. We do not include an exhaust bellows with the kit as it is not needed, however if you want to try to make your old one fit you could cut some v notches into it so you can clamp it to the smaller flange. Just make sure that when the bell housing is all the way down it does not compress to much, and when it is all the way up, it does not pull of the flange.

2. Right now your stock remote control console pulls the cable when going from neutral to forward. It needs to push it for our SE116 drive. Some remote controls allow you to change the configuration of the cable so it operates properly. If it does not have the ability to change the throw, then you would need to buy a new remote control. Teleflex makes a CH1700 series for a side mount and CH7500/CH7600 series for console mount.

3. You will most likely need to change the prop. There are some props that use interchangable hubs, so if you had one of those you may just need to buy a new hub and hardware kit. To start with, I would try a similar sized prop to what you currently have, and then adjust up or down as needed based on your WOT rpm's.

Tech Support

Comment

UPDATE

completed the SEI conversion myself. I didnt think it was hard at all. If you're a little mechanical anyone can do it. I also replaced my gimbal bearing with a slide hammer and a home made bearing driver. not too hard...

so far put about 15 hours on the new unit. Havent changed the oil yet but planning on it soon. The boat runs great. I really love it. No vibrations, no shaking, gets on plane nice and quick.

another happy SEI customer

Comment

I do not know if your remote control will work, you will have to check it.

Tech Support

Comment

Pull not Push

2. Right now your stock remote control console pushes the cable when going from neutral to forward. It needs to pull it for our SE116 drive. Some remote controls allow you to change the configuration of the cable so it operates properly. If it does not have the ability to change the throw, then you would need to buy a new remote control. Teleflex makes a CH1700 series for a side mount and CH7500/CH7600 series for console mount.

Tech Support[/QUOTE]

You have your push and pull reversed here. The SE116 needs to PUSH. The OMC stock control PULLs. I followed the directions here and needed to remove, change the throw and reinstall my new remote. Please verify and consider revising the post.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I edited the post.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X