UPPER/LOWER Unit Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPPER/LOWER Unit Installation

I just had warranty work done on my upper and lower units. I followed directions for reinstall but when i put muffs on it in the yard to test. I noticed that water was coming out of the two front bolt holes. I shut the motor off. what would cause this?

I am not sure which bolt holes you are referring to. Can you describe it better?

When running on the hose you will usually see water coming out of the reliefs in the gimbal housing and some coming out of the prop. The middle of the drive is the exhaust cavity which of course has water in it, so it is also possible for some water to come out the small drain hole towards the front of the lower.

Tech Support

Comment

i have put a photo with an arrow to show wich bolts. it is both bolts on the left and right side of the water pump.

Comment

leak

improperly installed guide tube ?
        http://mercstuff.com/ficheg.htm

Comment

i am going to pull the lower back off tonight and check that. is there anything special i need to do or just make sure they line up properly?

another question i have that may be related. the same 4 bolts, when i put nuts on the bolts, the bolt does not reach the end of the nut. meaning that when i screw the nut on the bolt the threads do not reach the end of the nut. The nuts look like they are locking nuts with a plastic at the end. but the bolt will only reach about 3/4 of the way the the nut.

I looked at my freinds alpha one Gen II and his reach all the way thru with a few threads showing once tightened. I measured my bolts and his and they are the same length. but he does not have the se116 he has a stock upper.

Does the SE116 require a longer bolt. If so what type of bolt can i use. When mine is together it appears as the two halves have fit flush together. but the bolts just do not reach the end of the nuts.

Comment

Our install kit does come with bolts that are a 1/4 inch longer, just to make sure that you get in to the nylon portion of the nut. As long as they are torqued to spec (35 Ft Lbs) you should be fine.

The guide tube is what ensures that you get the water pipe in the upper into the correct place on the lower. If you missed the water pipe, that would mean all of the water is just ending up inbetween the halves rather than going to the engine.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X