ESA - why should i bypass it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESA - why should i bypass it?

I noticed in the install instructions for the cobra conversion kit that it is optional but recommended to bypass the OMC Electronic Shift Assist module.

Before i bypass it I would like to know why it is recommended to bypass this system. If the ESA slows down engine RPM while coming out of gear, i would think that this is a good thing... less wear on the gears in the drive.

Please explain. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the bypass before I wire it up.

thanks

We have you elimate the ESA system, and then wire it like a mercruiser. It will still cutout the engine when shifting, but it will do it the same as a mercruiser rather than the omc way.

Tech support

Comment

got it.

the instructions say to identify the MAIN INTERRUPTER SWITCH and in the picture it points to the lower/bottom swich.

Which wire is the one which does not show continuity? I dont have a multi-meter but was thinking that since there are only 2 wires going to that switch, that it must be pretty standard that either the top or bottom wire is the one without continuity.

Can you tel me which wire (top of swich or bottom wire) on the switch is the one i need to connect the negative wire from the coil to? Or do i absolutely need to test for continuity, or the lack of in this case?

Comment

OMC had used a couple of different set ups, so you are best to check the wire, if you don't have a meter, maybe you have a test light you could use?

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X