se116 on gen1 gimbal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• se116 on gen1 gimbal?

I currently have a gen2 outdrive on my gen1 gimbal, we had to make a modification to the shift shaft, but otherwise it bolts up without any problems.

I want to replace it with an se116, are there any issues I might have bolting the se116 to the gen1 gimbal that I wouldn't have had with the oem gen2 outdrive? Or am I better off with a gen1?

The engine is a ~2001 seamaxx(looks like a mercruiser, 5.7, 4 barrel carb) on a 1985 chris chraft scorpion 254. I like the idea of the newer model outdrive, just want to make sure it will work before I order.

The Gen II drive is wider than a Gen I drive, so you should have had to ground down the gimbal ring support ears or the drive to make it fit. If you ground down the gimbal ring, then you have no choice but to go with the Gen II.

Tech Support

Comment

No, I didn't modifiy anything except used the shift-shaft for a gen ii and had to put some washers above the end to take out the play.

All I did was pull the gen I outdrive off (trim pin and the 6 locknuts), replace the shift shaft(I think its called the shift shaft, the piece that engages the lever on the lower unit) with one for a gen II. The piece from the gen I wasn't long enough. The new shift shaft had some vertical movement to it, so I put a handful of washers between the end of it and the gimbal.

Story alert...skip to the bottom if you're just interested in the important stuff

This is what happened(what had happened was...) - I bought a boat that had been completely repowered with the seamaxx gen1 system. I then serviced the outdrive ("changed" the oil) and proceeded across the lake at WOT(forgetting to refill the outdrive). As you can imagine, about 45 seconds into my trip, I was dead in the water.

Found a cheap, decent condition used gen ii outdrive on craigslist, and purchased it after the local marine supply assured me it would bolt up. It did, with the minor modifications listed above. I've owned inboards all my life, so this outdrive business is new to me. I filled the new outdrive till oil was running out of the top(filled from the top...told you I was new at this) and proceeded to the nearest lake for a test run.

This time I got about 15 miles before the engine bogged down and I heard a squealing. Limped back to the ramp, took off the top conver and noticed a destroyed bearing. oops.

New bearing, fresh oil(from the bottom!).

Trip #3. Made it about 7 miles and broke several teeth off the gears in the top end, I think the engine made it to about 8000rpm. I suspect the gears were probably damaged by the previous no-oil run.

So, I'm buying my 3rd outdrive now, thanks to my ignorance and impatience =) Just need to make sure the se116 will work and not the se106. I have manuals now and will be following them word for word. Don't really want to waste another $2000.

Is there some other combination of equipment I have that would explain me being able to bolt what I believe to be a gen II outdrive to what I believe to be a gen I gimbal?

Comment

The Gen II and the SE106 are different widths, so you should have had an issue. Did you install it yourself? Maybe your old gimbal ring was worn in that area allowing enough room for the gen II, although it usually just wears on the port side, so I would think the drive would kick over to port as it enters the gimbal ring on the way down.

Could you take a picture of your transom assembly, showing the top portion where the sticker was or is, and also one of your current drive. That will help me identify it. You can either post it here, or email them to tech@sterndrive.cc

You could go with a Gen II, I am just concerned that you will have issues with the side clearance and will need to grind down your gimbal ring.

Tech Support

Comment

I'll get some pictures tonight and post them here. It's possible that it has worn down enough that grinding wasn't needed.

I ordered an SE116 yesterday, plan to pick it up either Friday or Tuesday, depending on when y'all get it in.

Comment

Update

Just wanted to stop by with an update...new outdrive went on perfectly and has run flawlessly since I installed it 14 months ago. It's seen several Middle Grounds trips now and spent some time in the Keys and Ft. Lauderdale.

As mentioned by others, it was noisy and ran a little warm through the break-in but that cleared up. It doesn't get as warm now and still gives a little noise but it has about 100 hours on it now and I've had zero issues.

I'm glad I went with an SEI drive.

Comment

Working...
            X