gimal bearings and impeller replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gimal bearings and impeller replacement

I am a new stern drive owner. I purchased a 1991 larson with a 4.3 alpha mercruiser.

I'm told that I should change the gimal bearing and impeller every couple years. I don't know when they were changed last.

question 1 - is that true? Are there signs I can look for to indicate they need replacment?

question 2 - are these jobs that a guy who doesn't have a lot of fancy tools or know-how do him self or should I have a dealer do them?

Thank you.

Tim

The impeller should be changed every two years. Some people even change it every year. It's cheap insurance. It is better to change it while it is still functioning rather than having it fail on the water.

The gimbal bearing should checked every year. To check it you need to remove the drive and rotate the bearing with your hand. It should feel smooth. No bumps. If it is bad you can hear it while the boat is running. It kind of growls. While your in there you should also grease the bearings.

As far as replacement goes, the impeller is fairly simple if your mechanically inclined. The hardest part is to make sure you get the shifter lined up correctly upon reassenbly.

The gimbal bearing is more difficult. You need to have a special puller and a mandrel to reinstall it. You could always take the drive off yourself and then take it to a mechanic to get the bearing replaced and the alignment check.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
    X