Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting these drives to work

Hi,
    well finally after over 8 months Ive finally gotten back from Iraq and am ready to try again. I have installed the drives numerous times, reconnected all the fittings and shifters, even brought it to a Mercruiser Dealer to get these to work. All to no avail.
    The engines will run but when I attempt to shift them into gear (either forward or reverse) the safety interupt kicks in and the engines is shut down. The mechanic had the boat for over 2 weeks and showed me his time cards, he put over 25 hours into it and couldnt figure it out either. I as well as the mechanic are at a loss what to try now. What do you suggest I try next?

Please help!
    25Ft 1978 Wellcraft Nova Offshore with twin worked 350's, I havent broken 70mph but my trim tabs arent right yet either :-)

If the engine dies shifting both directions that means most likely something is binding in the shift cable or shift linkages.

Possibly the shift cable is bad. You should be able to shift it by hand fairly easily at the shift bracket by the engine.

Another possiblity is when you bolted the two halves together you may have not gotten the shift lever put on the splines properly. That could cause the shaft to bend while tightening the upper to the lower, which will then put tension on the shift linkage.

If you have any more questions feel free to give me a call at 727-461-0811

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

more help

ok the engines run, the drives will shift into foward BUT when I take them back to neutral I have to go lightly into reverse for them to switch to neutral. When I try to shift into reverse they shift cutout gets engaged and kills the engines. The drives have been apart by me as well as a certified mechanic. The splines are set right, the cables are adjusted correctly. Everything I or the mechanic try yeilds the same results.
      I am at a loss as to try next. The only thing that I havent tried is the shifter controls.
      I do not know what to try next..........

What now?
      25Ft 1978 Wellcraft Nova Offshore with twin worked 350's, I havent broken 70mph but my trim tabs arent right yet either :-)

Comment

Well, it is definately odd that both port and starboard have the same problem. I would recommend shipping one of them back to us and we can check it out.

Give me a call on Monday and we will start the paperwork.

Tech support
        727-461-0811
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X