can't quite get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't quite get it

I got the top and bottom halves of my new 106 put together no problem. Got it dangling from a hoist, fed the input shaft into the bearing, made sure the shift shaft is forward and the intermediate shaft is lined up with the cable and the cable is engaged with the intermediate shaft and properly in the housing.

I can't get the outdrive all the way onto the bellhousing. The prop locks in place before the sterndrive is quite onto the studs, but I think it's bound up in there somehow, because I don't think it's far enough to actually have engaged the splines. I can get the outdrive about 1 inch from being in place, which is well onto the studs.

Is there a trick to getting the shaft all the way in, or is there something else I need to check?

thanks,
    --steve

Well the trick is a well placed kick right on the sterndrive logo, to get the O-rings on the input shaft through the bearing. I might give it a couple more kicks though, because I was told that this drive would drop right in.

The wide "fin" that goes all around the bottom of the upper half interferes with the hydraulic lines that go to the trim cylinders. On my MCM 470 that fin is on the bottom half, about an inch below the mating surface. Now I have to get new cylinders and hydraulic lines? At $300 EACH the quote I got to rebuild my old drive is suddenly very cheap.

Hoping there's a way to fix this,

--steve

Comment

Steve,

Sometimes they can be a bit stubborn going on. It was most likely just the o-rings going through the bearing. Did you check the alignment before you put the new drive on?

As far as the interference goes, some cusomers have cut out clearance sposts for the line. What I would reccomend though is to just turn the trim cylinders upside down. Then the line that is interfering will be pointing up. I don't know why some of them have that problem. Most of the older models accept the newer style with no problem

Hope that helps,

Tech Support
      Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
      X