Replace old MerCruiser 215H's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace old MerCruiser 215H's

OK, here is the tough question of the day. I have a 1970 Thinderbird Cherokee with twin 215 Ford 302's with 215H sterns.

Can the sterns be upgraded/updated with newer units without replacing the gimbles/tranny etc etc etc? Will the SE106 fit? the 215H's where only made in 1970.

Thanks,
    Denis

I am not too familar with the 215H drives, but I do know they are totally different from anything available today. An SE106 drive will not replace it. To put a different drive on it you would need to get rid of the transmission and relocate the engine further back. You would also have to fill the tranom cut out and recut it for the new gimbal assembly.

Probably the easier thing to do is keep an eye out for used 215H's and buy up a couple of spares.

Hopefully someone out there has some better options for you,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

ok so this is a start. now if i move the 302's back and get a coupler for fords, can i mate this engine directly to an alpha,bravo, or an se106?

Comment

You would also need to get a different gimbal assembly, different y pipe for the exhaust, divverent bell housing and the coupler. The different gimbal assembly means you would have to patch the current transom and recut it for the Alpha transom assembly.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X