Upper gears sheared after 1 month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper gears sheared after 1 month

I bought a complete SE116 1.62 ratio replacement drive. Was very meticulios as to break in and fluid change. This past weekend the upper gears completely shreaded. I have a 1999 Crest Pontoon with 250HP 5.7 Mercruiser and replaced the same ratio as I have ran on the boat since boat was new. I have heard this is not an uncommon occurance. What is the issue with the gears not holding up?

I had the exact same thing happen to a new outdrive running the 1.62 gear set.
    I am running a 5.0 MPI 260HP. From the calls I have had with the Techs at SEI, they state that this should be running a 1.47 gear ration instead of the 1.62.
    I am now running a 1.47, but am trying to get the right prop for it now as you are going to notice an RPM change.

Comment

Starting around 98 or so, Mercruiser started putting the 1.62 ratio with the V8's in some applications. If you compare the 1.62 ratio vs. the 1.47, you can see an obvious strength difference. The teeth on a 1.62 gear are much smaller and thinner than the 1.47. We have people calling everyday with boats that are pretty new and they have a broken upper gear set.

I would suggest the 1.47 if you have the V8, but as Hawkrdr suggested, you will have to reprop.

In our testing, the 1.62 does fairly well, but the way we break them in may be a benefit. In our testing we run at 1000 RPM for an hour, and then bump up 500 rpm every hour. This allows the gear pattern to spread completely over the tooth.

With the 1.62 it would also be wise to avoid going full throttle from a dead stop. Take it easy getting up on plane, then you can go full throttle.

As far as getting yours fixed, call the warranty department at 813-925-7127 and have your serial number ready.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X