X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omc cobra - troubleshooting coolant system

1987 cobra 7.5L 199 hours
    "edited - additional finding"

i inexplicably let my engine freeze and replaced the lower pump, a damaged oil cooler, and two freeze plugs. i can't see or haven't been able to discern any other damage and the engine runs fine. there is no water in the oil and the fluid systems seem intact. i removed the thermostat completely (deducing that the the engine temperature wouldn't have rise in order to have flow)

in the past, i have been able to flush the system without problems but now, in order to get water to flow all the way to the exhaust ports, i have to hold the adapter 'ears' tight to the intake openings and eventually water will start to come out with the exhaust. the flow thru the exhaust stops when i release the pressure.

am i missing something, or should i assume there is a major problem, either with the main pump or with the interior coolant raceway and i should take it to an omc dealer for repair. truthfully, i hesitate to do that because of some past experience with boat repairs and i just don't want to be told i need a major part or repair from someone i have no trust in at all.

(edit) upon additional testing, i noticed that there was water leaking around the anode attached to the forward end of the lower gear case. i removed the anode for a clearer look and the water was coming from an opening in the upper gear case just above the anode location. the hose was intact, so the water was leaking from within the housing. i'm pretty sure that's not supposed happening. it appears there is damage to the upper gear case, or at least a component that has been pushed out or damaged by freezing. still working on it. (end of edit)

any help would be much appreciated..

We are not Cobra experts here, I would suggest posting your question on I-boats. www.iboats.com

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
    X