Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting into Reverse

Hi Guys,
    Need some of your assitance. This weekend I attempted to put my Sterndrive on. This sterndrive was returned to you under warranty last fall and repaired. This is the first time it has been installed since. The sterndrive went on great. Everything aligned up for a perfect fit. I then attepmted to shift into reverse and can not. After checking the cable and alignment again I still could not shift into reverse. I pulled the out drive out about 3 to 4 inches so that nothing was engaged. It shifted fine, so I then looked further into the sterndrive itself. When I shift the sterndrive by hand into reverse it is in the opposite direction as the shift groove on the gimbal. Another explanation is the shift on the sterndrive is in 45 deg angle to the right and the shift on the gimbal is at a 45 deg angle to the left. This sterndrive did not have a problem the first time. It shifted perfectly. Am I missing something or is it possible that when it was serviced under warranty the wrong shifting untit was installed? Possibly for a counter rotating sterndrive?

It sounds like the alignment between the brass shift lever and the lower shift shaft is not correct.

You need to seperate the lower and upper just enough to be able to disengage the lever from the splines. While the splines are engaged roatate it clockwise until it stops while rotating the propshaft counter clockwise until it stops.

You are now in forward gear. Lift the brass lever straight up to disengage the splines and then rotate it so it is pointing straight ahead. Then move it back down on the splines.

That should get the alignment corrected.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I will give that a shot and let you know how I make out.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X