Adjusting Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Shift

As per step 6.2 note about refering to the appropriate manual for my remote control to accomplish this step. Do you know where I find this or do I just follow the instructions immediately following that note?
    Also, does installing the plastic spacer guides on the side of the upper housing in a hole provided mean anything if I'm installing an older model alpha 1 gen 1 drive or is that only for the SE 116? Thanks again for the help.

You need to change the throw of the cable, and to do that you need to go into the remote control box on the helm. Some control boxes are not universal and you may need to buy a new control. The manual may be available from the manufacturer of the control box.

I am confused as to why you have a 106 drive. The width will be an issue. You will need to make larger spacers for the sides of the drives.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks, will attempt. As for the confusion, I have an 89 seaswirl with omc outdrive. Then bought a 88 sunbird with a mercruiser outdrive and swapping out the omc per your conversion kit to avoid having to buy omc stuff. I may end up getting a drive from SEI if I have problems with the mercruiser drive I have, thanks for the help.

Comment

Admin,
        As far as the shift controls go I still have all the controls that came on the sunbird from which I got the mercruiser drive off of. Do you think if my seaswirl isn't universal that the one from the sunbird will do beings how it was hooked up to the mercruiser drive before? Thanks

Comment

Your going to run into other problems. The conversion kit is designed for an SE116 drive, which is the same as a 1991 or newer alpha one gen II. Since you bought a complete spare boat, why aren't you swapping over the transom assembly and everything else?

Tech Support

Comment

To answer your question, yes, you can use the shifter from the mercruiser boat as long as it is the same style.

Tech Support

Comment

I see what you mean by more problems. Sorry I didn't reply to you before now but unable to post from home for some reason, every time I would log in it would say I was successful and then asked for me to log in again, sorry. Anyway, my dealer told me all I had to do was get this conversion kit and I could avoid all the work that would come from doing a complete transom overhaul so I went for it. He didn't say it wouldn't work on an alpha 1 Gen 1 or I would't have bought it. So far it hasn't been that bad until the weekend when we went to put the drive on and the shaft assembly-shift upper(part #21 of schematic from boats.net) sits to low and is not wide enough to accept the intermediate shift shaft from the alpha 1. I noticed that the OD of the shafts are the same but the conversion kit shaft assembly shift-upper is longer than the original is. My question is do you sell shaft assembly shift uppers that will accept my wider intermediate shift? Thanks

Comment

I think you might be able to take that shaft off of the other boat and use it.

Tech Support

Comment

Will attempt but as said above I used a mic on the shaft OD of the old boat and it's the same but the length of the shaft is longer on the conversion side. Will re-measure, if it proves out the same guess I have no alternative but to lengthen the old shaft to work. I will be saving the conversion kit shaft for my new SEI though, hopefully first of the year. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X