Loud whinning on new SE 106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud whinning on new SE 106

I just had a new complete SE 106 installed on my 1978 Century with a Mercruiser 260. I'm hearing a loud whinning noise in the gears at low speed (almost idle but in gear in no wake zones). It seems to lessen as I throttle up a bit. I read an identical post from july of last year regarding an SE 116. Is this noise going to go away? If not, what should I do? I did have my marina mechanics check it. They found no unusual shavings in the gear oil and thought this might just be characteristic of the drive. I've put less than 5 hours on it so far. Thanks.
    James Abid

The gears do need to wear into each other, so it should quiet down some after it gets 10 hours or so on it. Don't forget to change the gear lube at the 10 hour mark also.

Thanks,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

WHINING

SOUNDS FAMILIAR....I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. IT MUST BE THE GEARS (BURRS/NICKS?). MY PROBLEM IS SLOWLY DIMINISHING. I CHANGED THE GEAR OIL (NOTHING UNUSUAL AS FAR AS SHAVINGS OR CHIPS). I HAVE TO ADMIT I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED AT FIRST, BUT I HAVE HAD NO OTHER PROBLEMS WITH MY DRIVE. IT IS AN EXCELLENT VALUE.

Comment

Loud whinning noise continues

I've got about 20 or 25 hours on my new se106 now. It is still making the loud whinning noise. I thought it was going away but it has now changed characteristics in that it sometimes louder and sometimes not as loud. Some outings, it is present but not obnoxious, other times, it is louder than ever. While I appreciate the great value in this drive, the whinning is very annoying and I would like to know what has resolved this issue for others. Hope you can help.
        James Abid

Comment

Give us a call at 727-461-0811 to discuss the issue.

Thanks,

Tech Support
          Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
          X