Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with gear changing

Hey All,
    Recently changed my shift cable on my mercrusier 3.0L alpha one Replaced the cable using the instruction found at the below link, follow the instruction to letter, a couple of times, with the result the gear change and movement is a lot smoother but the kill switch doesn't seem to be functioning, hear the gears trying to mesh as you place in either foward or reverse. All testing has been on dry land with the muffs, is this the reason, or any other suggestion most welcome, at my witts end!!!!

Suspect the kill switch is the problem??

Cheers,
    Jim

http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html

Jim,
    Does it seem to shift fine on the ear muffs? There has to be resistance to trip the ignition cut out switch, and there is no resistance when you run it on a hose. If it seems to shift fine, i would put it in the water and try it out. If it doesn't shift okay let me know.
    Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Hi. Tech Support,

Many thanks for your advise. Can't wait for Irish weather to improve, or at least stop raining to allow me get boat into water and try it out. Will keep you posted.

Cheers
      Jim

Hi. again,
      We put the boat in water to day and the kill switch works perfectly when shifting from forward & reverse to neutral which I understand is the only time it should work?
      However when shifting into forward or reverse the gears don't seem to mesh smoothly, there is a clunk or greating sound is this normal?
      I tried adjusting the end guide of the shift cable across the slot in 4 stages until I have it the full way across but it did'nt make any inprovement at any of the stages.
      I also moved the brass barrel two rotations longer & shorter but all this achived was the boat still moved slowly when remote control was shifted into neutral position.
      My concern is that I did'nt notice any clunking or greating last year when the old shift cable was working properly, and I am worried this will cause damage to the gears.
      If this sound is normal is it better to ease it into gear gently with the greating sound (like gear wheels grinding of each other) or slam it into gear with a clunking sound.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Jim

Comment

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:26 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. again,
        We put the boat in water to day and the kill switch works perfectly when shifting from forward & reverse to neutral which I understand is the only time it should work?
        However when shifting into forward or reverse the gears don't seem to mesh smoothly, there is a clunk or greating sound is this normal?
        I tried adjusting the end guide of the shift cable across the slot in 4 stages until I have it the full way across but it did'nt make any inprovement at any of the stages.
        I also moved the brass barrel two rotations longer & shorter but all this achived was the boat still moved slowly when remote control was shifted into neutral position.
        My concern is that I did'nt notice any clunking or greating last year when the old shift cable was working properly, and I am worried this will cause damage to the gears.
        If this sound is normal is it better to ease it into gear gently with the greating sound (like gear wheels grinding of each other) or slam it into gear with a clunking sound.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Jim

Comment

Jim,
          It sounds like the shift adjustment is off. It also sounds like it is not coming out of gear because the shift adjustment is off. You need to make sure that is set up to mercury specs. It is not the gears grinding, but the clutch teeth. When you shift, you should shift quickly. If you slowly move the shift lever it will also grind.

Good luck,
          Tech Support
          Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Me Again,

It shifts out of gear perfectly with the kill switch kicking in and no grinding or clunking.
            It is only when shifting into gear from neutral that there is a problem, could it be that the engine reves are too high meter shows around 800 R.P.M. what do you think.
            I am happy the shift adjustment is OK.

Cheers Jim.

Comment

Yes, 800 rpm is too high, and that will cause some problems. It should idle between 600-700 rpm.
              Try that out and see if it works better.
              Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X