New here and have several questions about this pontoon with sterndrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and have several questions about this pontoon with sterndrive

Hi everyone,I bought this 93 Crest Savannah 25' pontoon with a 3.0LX and bad sterndrive. So, I bought the SE116 upper and hope to use the old lower unit..Have washed it out several times with diesel fuel and brake cleanner to get any fine metal's out,,,Seems clean and smooth...Oh, the SE116 is geared 1.98 as was the old upper unit..My question's are what size prop should work best(no prop was on this outdrive when I got it),and would the 1.94 unit have been better? Also what speeds could I expect with this craft hauling six to eight people? Found out today it's gona need bellow's replaced.(shifter cable and exhaust are both bad) and found some water and oil in u-joint bellow when I removed the old outdrive.This is enough begging for free advise for now.I'm sure I'll be bothering you again though, and thanks again for any insight. Dougg

h A 1.94 and a 1.98 upper are actually the same. What makes the .04 difference is the tooth count on the lower gears. The difference is not really noticable. The prop will probably be a 16 pitch, but you really ned to try one to see how it works. You are looking for an rpm range of 4400-4800 rpm. When it is light, it should hit 4800 and loaded should be a little less but at least 4400. I really don't have a guess as to the top speed. I am not to familiar with the pontoon boats.

Tech Support

Comment

thanks for the quick reply..Would the 16 pitch prop need to be 14" or 15" as a starting point?Iknow this must be guess work, but figured someone out there has had one of these pontoons and may offer their input.One other thing, I noticed alot of corrosion around the impeller base making for a not so level face for baseplate. can I use some Perfect SEAL #4 under the bottom plate gasket with any luck? Thanks again...Doug

Comment

Typically a 16 pitch prop is 15 inches or so in diameter. 14.75 to 15.25 would be typical. Yes, you can use some perfect seal around the water pump base. Hopefully it seals up ok.

Tech Support

Comment

Thank you so much.

Comment

Working...
          X