Gear Whine in Neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Whine in Neutral

I installed my SE 106 on my 1985 Mach 1 2350 (260hp 350cid) Condor at the beginning of the season and have between 5 and 10 hrs on it. I changed the gear lube after about 5-7hrs. There were fine shavings, but nothing unusual. The unit operates and shifts perfectly, but it makes an annoying gear whine in neutral, and a slight whine in reverse. No noticable noise in forward. Also, the U-joint clatters in sharper turns at any speed. Will these noises go away, or is this a problem?

The whining should quiet down some after you get some more hours on it.

The U-joint noise is not typical. I would pull the drive off and check the gimbal bearing to make sure that is smooth. Also check the u-joints for and slop. If you feel any side t side play that could be causing your problem. If that is the case, give us a call and we will get it taken care of for you.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

I will continue to run it for a few more weeks. If things quiet down, I will leave well enough alone. If it keeps up or gets worse, I will contact you.

Comment

Working...
      X