Installation Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Questions

Our marina mechanic recently installed a complete SE 106 for us. He indicated that the shift lever bushing was missing. I called your tech support with the mechanic standing there with me and asked about it. We were told it is not used anymore. We were told the 1/8 inch of play between the shift lever and the housing (without the bushing) was okay. Yet it appears that the bushing is included in your installation kit (as I had showed a picture of the installation kit to our mechanic and he verified the white bushing) located at http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/g...3Kfullsize.jpg
    I'm wondering why it is included in the installation kit if it is not needed?

Also, our mechanic charged us 3 hours labor to remove our old drive and assemble and install the new drive. Does that sound about right? The marina manager had told me it would take about an hour.

The reason I'm asking about the bushing is because I have a loud whinning noise when idling in forward. I've asked (in this forum) about this already and have been told to get through the 10 hour break in period and make sure to change the gear fluid. Well, I'm through about 10 hours and the noise is still present. I've yet to change the gear fluid but am concerned about the whinning. I appreciate your advice. [/img]
    James Abid

The white plastic piece is actually a plastic water tube guide, used to guide the copper water pipe into the water pump as you install the upper to the lower. http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

3 hours is about right, when you include time for testing and paper work. Some places charge by the book and others charge how long it actually takes.

I would go ahead and change the gearlube at this point. Also check the metal on the drain plug. There will be quite a bit of metal on the drain plug, but there shuld be no chunks. It could be that your taking it easier than most people on the break in, so it is taking a little longer. Go ahead and start using it like normal now, and let us know after another 5 hours or so if you notice a difference.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Update

I changed the gear lube yesterday. There were metal shavings on the screw but no chunks. Took it out an ran for an hour after changing the gear lube. Ran it at all speeds. Full throttle speed of 32 knots or so. Whinning noise is still present at about 750 rpms in forward only. It does seem to be getting more quiet. I'll run it another 5 hours or so and let you know. Thanks for your advice and interest. Otherwise, the drive is great! :) Jim Abid
      James Abid

Comment

Working...
      X