My Canadian Experience (a good one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Canadian Experience (a good one)

While boating just outside of Rockport (near Heart Island, NY) my drive unit decided it was an appropriate time to pack it in and sieze up. After drifting for a while we got a tow to a marina. (Our boat is a 1989 25' Thundercraft Magnum Express with a 5.7 liter Merc)

After hearing the bad news - drive unit gone - I did as much research as possible before deciding what to do. I could purchase a re-conditioned Alpha I drive unit here in Kingston, Ontario for $2500 CDN or order a drive unit from SEI for $1195 US, plus shipping ($230 US), plus duty ($210 CDN). With the great exchange rate getting the new drive to my door was ~$1800 CDN.

I decided to order the unit from SEI. I ordered the unit on Monday, it was shipped FedEx on Tuesday and arrived here in Kingston on Friday (4 days from Florida to Kingston is not bad at all!!)

My mechanic had the new drive unit installed in less than 2 hrs, and it would have actually been faster had the old drive come apart easier! The anode would NOT come off nicely which was required because we needed the bolts from the old drive to bolt the new one together...

The boat works great now. I have less than 5 hrs on the drive and its very quiet - no whinning noise like some people have experienced.

The only issue is that I get a clunking sound when turning hard to the left or right. My old drive did not make this noise - but its not the end of the world. My mechanic said he'll have a closer look once the boat is out of the water for the season. I read on another post that maybe shaving the U-Joint or casing will stop the clunking.

Overall I've very happy with the price, service and speed of delivery. Any Canadian's out there sitting on the fence might want to consider SEI as an alternative to an OEM drive.

Scooter
Working...
X