Insufficient water flow from drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insufficient water flow from drive

I recently installed my new SE 116 and it seems to be having a problem getting sufficient water flow from the drive while on muffs to the engine. I have verified that there is no blockage in the intake line by putting a water hose up to the water passage on the port side of the bell housing with the drive off of the boat, and visually confirming water exiting the exhaust relief ports within a few seconds. After running the engine while on muffs with the new SE 116 installed, I verified that there was water actually going to the engine by removing the 4 drain plugs on the engine/manifolds, and seeing water come out of them, as well as the intake hose.

There does not seem to be sufficient pressure coming from the drive however to push enough water out of the relief ports under the drive, which I should be seeing when the drive is running. I made sure that the water tube on the upper went straight into the guide tube on the lower half that was on the impeller housing. I also took a look at the impeller to make sure it was ok and it still looks brand new with no indication of any wear.

I did notice that the prop shaft seemed to sputter (as best of a word I can think of) a bit when the drive was running. The drive has been filled with new oil. Is it best to start a new drive in the water instead of muffs when brand new and still in the break in period?

The water will exit the reliefe ports the same way, on a hose or on muffs. Check to make sure you have assembled it correctly, making sure the O rings are in the connector tube that accepts the copper tube

Comment

How soon should one see water flow from the exhaust relief ports once the engine has been started on muffs?

Comment

give or take under 1 minute, less if the block and manifolds are already full

Comment

Working...
        X