overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating

Hi, i purchased the se106 drive approxmiately 4 months ago and finally put the boat in the water fathers day. This past weekend the engine began overheating. The drive has approxmiately 10 hours on it and was functioning fine. I have since changed the engine ciculating pump and checked for flow with a garden hose thru the motor which shows no obstructions. When i run the engine at the fresh water hookup at the rear of the boat the motor did not overheat. I pulled the water line off the connection at the feedthru the transom and just get a slow flow, i started motor and did not have any increase in water pressure or flow. The water intakes are clean of obstructions . My question is that it appears the water pump in the outdrive may have failed and was wondering if you have had any similiar problems. The boat is docked in a slip and would have to be pulled out to check the pump. Is there any other things i should check prior to pulling boat , let me know....

It sounds like you checked about evything, so you would need to take a look at the pump. Give me a call at 727-461-0811 so I can get the drive information from you.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Rob and Technical Support,

I have experienced the same issue where the flow into the engine, using the engine water mufflers, was nonexistant both when the engine was running and off. I first experienced this when I was actually out running, luckilly I wasn't too far away from shore and I was able to get back without doing damage. :(

I would like to know if that issue has been resolved and what was the root cause. My drive has about 4 hours on it.

One interesting fact is that when I backflush, the flow is as expected, good. Baskflushing as in hooking a hose to the hose at the point it goes into the waterpump on the engine. :?:

Erik

Comment

I believe we sent Rob a new impeller and gasket set and we have not heard back from him, so I assume it took care of it.

Tech Support
        727-461-0811
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Tech Service,

Just wanted to let you know that the Water Pump was replaced, took about 2 hours as I had never done it before - subsequent ones should take half as long, and it works great. :D

The water pump impeller that was in there was pretty beat up. The old impeller blade looked like someone was hungry in addition to the fact that they looked partially melted. :? I never ran the engine w/o water which really makes me curious as to why it looks the way it does. :?:

I will be sending the original impeller back via snail mail.

Erik

Comment

water pump impeller

Hi I also purchased the SE106 when I got about 10 hours on it it started overheating. I checked there was no flow. 160.00 later just for the haul a newe water pump impeller was installed ( OEM merc ) and we are back running again. I guess these impellers are not the best I have the new one that was sent to me but I'm kind of afraid to install as these short hauls are expensive :roll:

Comment

impeller

marc,
              I think this is the weakest link in the drive and it seems to be a matter with bonding the rubber impeller to the metal sleeve causing the impeller to slip on the sleeve during rotation and load. Thus the reports of the impeller apearing serviceable upon removal. After reviewing quite a number of posts I did install a merc oem impeller before I installed my new SE drive. Mechanically I would have to say the drives are "sound" and I have plenty of confidence in mine. I do know that a small amount of people end up shipping theirs back. These are isolated and tend to be problems with any type of mass production, however, SE definitely stands behind their product and resolves these issues really fast.
              Regards,
              Scott
              1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
              GMC 5.0 200hp
              SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

When I replaced the impeller it di not appear to be that it was releasing from the shaft, mine was that the rubber impeller blade material was deteriated and chipping/crumbling. Looks like it could be a bad batch of material.

Comment

If pieces of the impeller were falling off, i'd be inclined to say that it was run without water. Possibly the hose muffs fell of while it was running.

Tech Support

Comment

Sorry to say never ran it without water.

Comment

I've always had a fear of the traditianal muffs falling or slipping off. I purchased the Quicksilver ones at a local boat shop. These are attatched to the lower unit with a rod that passes through a hole in the water pump intake screens. I was happy to see that the 106 already has these holes since my older alpha did not and thought I was going to have to drill, but no need.
                      These will never fall off and provide a tighter seal.
                      http://www.iboats.com/mall/dz.5004/view_id.134740.html
                      I know it's been awhile since I purchased them, but I really don't think I spent that much :shock:

Scott
                      GMC 5.0 200hp
                      SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

overheating

Hi, i had made the original post regarding the overheating on my new se106. Yes i did recieve the new impellar kit from SE however after looking at the condition of the one that i had removed i also chose to use a merc oem pump as that i had already lost the month of august due to this nonsense. The motor was never overheated prior to the pump failure as i was not going to take the chance as i had also had just put in a rebuilt motor. It appeared to me the pump failed due to poor quality or no lube used during installation. When i had the boat hauled out of the water and checking further into the problem i also had found one of the impeller fins jammed into the water line feeding the engine thru the transom. After replacing with the new pump i had the boat relaunched and it appears to be running at its normal 160 degrees...Rob

Comment

Hi Rob,
                          You sure started something alright :D
                          Well to say the least it was a really good catch finding that impeller "chunck" or you most likely would have continued with overheat problems due to restriction. Any way, I bet it's a good feeling to get back in the water.
                          Take care,
                          Scott
                          GMC 5.0 200hp
                          SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

I bought 2 new SE 106 last year. It was all OK until after some 20 hours the engine overheated and destroyed heads on a new engine. The problem was the SE106 impeller. The mechanic changed impeller on both outdrives and put OEM ones. He said that the 2 impeller was in process of a total colapse while the 1 one had rubber part sparated from the metal ring!!!

It is obvious that there is a problem with impeller supplier for the SE106. I just wish a knew that before one of the new engines was ruined for a $30 part. My suggestion is always change the impeller to OEM one for the peace of mind. All other parts of SE106 are fine.

I am sure that SE company is aware of this problem and should have adviced people of it, they are young company and do not need this cheap impeller to ruin there reputation of a very good job done on all other more expensive inside parts.

For me SE106 did not save me any money instead it costed me more due to overheat than the OEM outdrive.

Since I leave in Europe it was not worth sending the units back to states.

Balsa

Comment

Working...
                            X