Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not shift into reverse

Hey,
    I hired a recommended certified marine mechanic to put together and install my new se106 full unit outdrive which he said would take about 45 minutes, at $80 an hour($100min) that sounded good...Five hours later.... still couldn't get into reverse when mounted.He checked and adjusted everything 5 or 6 times(too much to list) with the conclusion that the drive was the problem.To prove his theory He installed a merc outdrive he had for another customer (which worked fine).He charged me $250 for labor since he did not succeed...... I lost $250 and my whole day and still have a boat with no outdrive.. I am not happy and will be calling monday morning. :x

Sounds Fishy

Elvon,
    I almost hate to say it, but I wouldn't trust anybody that said they could do a complete install in 45 minutes, certified or not. All of the items that have to do with shifting can and must be tested before any install begins, or else. If there really is a defect with the lower drive it would show itself during pre-install checks and no further install should continue. Also while the lower is out verify it will go in reverse, did he do this????The boat side and and lower unit must be confirmed to be in FWD before the lower and upper are mated. If the lower is not in full fwd and off by one spline than shifting problems will happen. I believe the running average install time is aprox 3hrs. This includes pre-inspections, install both upper than lower, required rigging of lower shift cable with a helper, prop install, and than servicing with gear lube. All that in 45 minutes for quality work?
    Hope all works out, and ask the mech if the lower was going into reverse, or not, before install, and if the shift cable was confirmed to be upright with the bushing ingaged while installing the upper to the bell housing. If he can't respond correctly it seems like he may owe a refund.
    Regards, Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

checked it

I had took off swim platform earlier for ease, there was no drive to remove.. Drive went into reverse on stand I saw all bushings and shifter engaged since I was the helping hand(Fwd,neu worked fine).When he got underneath and pushed the brass shaft(while in shifter cleat)It went into reverse but would fall right out once you moved prop.. That is with cable bottomed out in gimbal helmet(no more room for adjustment).As far as time goes he said 45min if all goes well (which it didn't) He took apart outdrive to double check once and removed and installed it 3 times, 3rd time was mercruiser outdrive, which worked fine(to show me it wasn't him)..He did all of this and more in 5 hours.I called several mechanic's before hiring him.. All told me one hour labor for install (if all goes well)but I also wanted the whole boat checked and to come my home on a day I could be there.He was recommended by other boat owners that he has done this exact job for.He is certified merc mechanic.After helping for 5 hours I could install the outdrive myself in 45min now(with alignment tool and stand).Which I will have to do since I can't afford to pay anyone again and end up in the same spot.I paid $250 for a lesson on outdrive install.I never installed an outdrive(thats why I hired him) but I have built many cars so this is not stuff I don't understand.Thanks... I think it is the outdrive :D

Comment

Hi there elvon,
        I could only imagine you have been in contact with S.E. by now and have something worked out. Out of my curiosity, while checking for initial shift ingagement after both upper and lower were installed, was the following performed: Lower shift cable disconnected from engine shift plate, hold brass barrel with one hand and pull cable end with other hand while a helper is rotating prop clockwise, this shoud lock into REV.
        Good Luck, and thanks for the response,
        Scott
        GMC 5.0 200hp
        SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Yes, both sides of shift cable were removed-one from remote the other from outdrive. Still couldn't get into reverse. Lower is on its way back to SEI. Thanks for your time.

Elvon

Comment

Seloc

Hi there elvon,
            One more thing, if you haven't already done so I recomend purchasing a Seloc repair manual. They are available at almost any boat shop and are worth it big time.
            Take care,
            Scott
            GMC 5.0 200hp
            SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

seloc

I have not seen a seloc book but I have the original mercruiser books that came with boat and I purchased a clymer book when I got the boat....thanks again I really appreciate it your time and thoughts on this subject
              87 22 Thompson
              carrera cuddy
              180 mercruiser

Comment

Hi there elvon,
                Having the original mercruiser manuals is much better than the Seloc manual. Seloc being an all in one for boats much like a Haynes is for cars. The Seloc is good but the original mercruiser manuals are by far superior.
                Did you by chance follow this thread: http://www.sterndrive.cc/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=283
                After brainstorming over yours, his popped up and things started clicking. I am willing to bet this is the problem yours had. :?
                Anyway take care and have fun when your new drive gets installed. :D
                Regards,
                Scott
                GMC 5.0 200hp
                SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Working...
                X