shifting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifting problem

I HAVE INSTALLED MY 106 DRIVE AND BELIEVE I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE ADJUSTMENT OF THE DOG CLUTCH IN REVERSE. FORWARD ENGAGES FULLY AND THE BRASS SHIFT LEVER POINTS STRAIGHT AHEAD AS IT SHOULD BUT WHEN I ROTATE THE LVER TO THE REVERSE POSITION YOU CAN FEEL WITH THE PROP THAT THE DOG IS NOT FULLY ENGAGED , WHEN I MOVE THE PROP IN THE OPOSIT DIRECTION IE RACHETING , THE PROP MOVES QUITE A LONG WAY BEFORE I CAN FEEL THE RAMP OF THE DOG THRU THE SHIFT SHAFT. I CHECKED MY OLD DRIVE TO DO A COMPARISON AND THE OLD DRIVE LOCKS FULLY INTO THE DOG IN BOTH FORWARD AND REVERSE. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS I'M IN AUSTRALIA SENDING THE DRIVE BACK IS NOT REALLY AN OPTION.REGARDS TONY

shift

Bones,
    Did you try shifting the lower unit in forward and reverse before install, if so how did it work? Also with lower unit installed did you try the following: while checking for initial shift ingagement after both upper and lower installed, lower shift cable disconnected from engine shift plate, hold brass barrel with one hand and pull cable end with other hand while a helper is rotating prop clockwise, this shoud lock into REV. I hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

SCOTT
      WHEN THE DRIVE IS OFF THE BOAT ON ON THE BENCH I CAN GET FULL REV ENGAGEMENT BUT WHEN ITS INSTALLED EVEN WITH THE NEW CABLE DISCONECTED AND MOVED BY HAND I CANT GET QUITE ENOUGH TRAVEL OUT THE SHIFT LEVER TO GET FULL REV. I EVEN RESORTED TO GRINDING SOME MATERIAL OFF THE BACK OF THE SHIFT LEVER TO GET SOME MORE TRAVEL BUT ITS STILL NOT ENOUGH. I'M SURE THAT THE SHIFT LEVER IS BOTTOMING ALL THE WAY IN THE BELL HOUSING BUT ITS STILL NOT QUITE ENOUGH ROTATION TO GET ME FULL REV ENGAGEMENT.

Comment

I would try to measure the total number of degrees of travel and compare it to your old one. Also check the shift lever in the bellhousing to make sure it is not bent or damaged in anyway. You may also want to try using your old brass shift lever and see if that makes a difference.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Fast

I would have to say you guys in tech support are good 8)
          That was my next direction of advise. For a guideline reference,
          I checked my old lower unit on the bench with the old brass shift lever installed pointed straight ahead locked in fwd, now turning the brass lever CCW and the prop shaft CW it locked into REV with about 50deg of travel.
          Tony, I hope these numbers help in your troubleshooting.
          Regards,
          Darren
          GMC 5.0 200hp
          SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

I HAVE CHECKED AND COMPARED THE ROTATION OF THE NEW DRIVE WITH THE OLD ONE . THE NEW 106 ROTATES 60 DEGREES THE OLD UNIT ONLY 50 DEGREES. I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MODIFY THE SHIFT LEVER AND SHIFT SLIDE TO GIVE ME ENOUGH TRAVEL TO GET REV ENGAGEMENT BUT ONLY JUST .ITS A VERY NEAR THING AND ANY WEAR IN THE FUTURE MAY START TO CAUSE SOME PROBLEMS.

Comment

Tony,
              From 50deg to 60deg equates to about an extra 3/16" end movement of the
              brass shift lever. With my boat placed in REV and a 3/16's allen wrench placed in the gap between the shifting lever/cover and upper drive it does
              make it about half the length and than the gap closes to tight. It is easy to see how yours is making contact.
              You would have to believe the shift rod is rotating an extra 10deg's in order
              to move the shift dog the extra distance needed to engage rev. Your old drive, my old drive, and my se 106 travel 50deg's. With that, the next part Tech Support would have to answer: If during assembly and the back lash checks are off allowing the pinion gear to ride lower resulting in a further than normal distance for the shift dog travel?
              Regards,
              Scott
              GMC 5.0 200hp
              SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

The shimming would have to be way off for it to cause that problem. I would lean more toward a spline being to loose or something along that lines. You could lock both units in forward by keeping tension on the prop shaft with your hand, and then compare the degree of movement that the units have.

Tech Support
                Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

I HAVE CAREFULLY CHECKED AND RECHECKED BOTH UNITS WITH THE PROP LOCKED SO AS THERE IS NO MOVEMENT OF THE BRASS SHIFT SHAFT AND THE NEW DRIVE DEFINATLY REQUIRES MORE ROTATION THAN THE OLD ONE.THERE IS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF SLACK IN THE SPLINE OF THE SHIFT SHAFT/BRASS LEVER BUT IT IS MINUTE AND I THINK IF IT WERE ANY TIGHTER IT MIGHT CAUSE EITHER ASSEMBLY OR SHIFTING PROBLEMS

Comment

Tony,
                    Perhaps, mostly due to your geographic disadvantage, could I suggest creating a digital video diminstration of your lower drive and link or e-mail to SE. This is due to the well known fact that a picture is worth a thousand words.
                    Good luck,
                    Scott
                    GMC 5.0 200hp
                    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

just to keep you all up to date and to say thanks for the advise and coments. the boat went in the water today for its first trial and worked fine , shifted ok and did all the right things. but boy they really are noisey when they're new are'nt they. i'm sure it will quiet down as i put more hours on it. with referance to over heating thats a bit interesting because my 106 certainly doesn't have much flow at low speed i.e. idle speed i removed the hose from the leg and it really ins't pumping much water at all . this is floating around in the bay not running on muffs, but at speed there's no problem at all.its something i will keep an eye on but overall i'm very impressed with the overall quality of this unit regardless of the small problems i've had when installing and lets face it , its 3 grand cheaper than a mercruiser! by the way , i'm an engineer not some wanker who doesn't know what he's doing , so belive me when i say i rekon these things are pretty bloody good.
                      regards tony

Comment

Hi Tony,
                        Glad to hear you made it to the water. Just wondering since you mentioned a concern about flow, what are your temps at idle and higher speeds?
                        Enjoy,
                        Scott
                        GMC 5.0 200hp
                        SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

scott
                          temps at speed are normal but at dead slow temp rises to the top of the green starting to push the red
                          regards tony

Comment

Tony,
                            I hate to be the one to tell you, but it has symptoms of the lower impeller having problems. On my old alpha 1, it had the same symptoms. At no wake speeds the temp would climb, but if I would raise the RPM's the temp would come down. Replaced the impeller and temps remained contsant at all speeds. As you know these aren't difficult to replace and all should be fine after that.

Regards,
                            Scott
                            GMC 5.0 200hp
                            SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Tony,
                              After re-reading one of your recent post I was relieved to find that you are not a "wanker" :lol:
                              That is a funny word that's not used very often in the States.
                              Take care,
                              Scott
                              GMC 5.0 200hp
                              SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Working...
                              X