New Drive Ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Drive Ratio

I ordered a new drive today to replace one with serious problems.
    The old drive has a 1:98 ratio and the new will have a 1:94 ratio. What changes in performance or speed will be affected by using the original
    prop? Sorry I don't know the pitch or size of the old one.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Bob
    Robert Hamil

Bob,
    Some time ago the Mercruiser folks changed the gear ratios.
    OLD NEW
    1.50 1.47
    1.65 1.62
    1.84 1.81
    1.98 1.94

From there statement these changes are slight and will not be noticed.
    Therefore, no prop adjustments should be needed.
    Regards,
    Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

New drive ratio

Thats Great news. Thanks for the information Scott. This is my frist boat and have yet to make a splash. Boat was garaged kept and looks new but I have found the drive to be in poor condition. Hope the new SEI 106 will
      get me in the water! Again thanks for the timely reply.
      Bob
      Robert Hamil

Comment

Bob,
        Trust me, you are doing the right thing changing the stern drive. I purchased my boat 3 years ago from an elderly gentleman who was selling the boat since he was getting too old to continue the hobby. He said the boat ran like a top and never left him stranded. He was as nice as could be and I really didn't have any reason to doubt him. The boat looked super clean in and out. Well that was as good as it got.
        I got towed in three times that first year :( .
        Every thing from engine overheat, which caused the exhaust to over heat, and than began to melt anything rubber/plastic (lower shift cable and more...) making contact. Apparently it had been along time since the engine alignment had been checked, since the coupler failed on me also.
        I have since done an overhaul on the boat during winter time and she does indeed run like a top now. I can't afford to pay anybody to do anything, so I learned alot real fast and not to mention saved a ton of cash :D .
        I am not trying to scare you, but just take it easy on the first few outings and watch all indications, and don't bring a bunch of friends and all there ice chests the first time, like I did.
        When you replace your drive inspect the coupler splines the best you can, they are hard to see and you will need a bright flashlight. Most of all verify the engine alingment.
        Good luck,
        Scott
        1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
        GMC 5.0 200hp
        SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Working...
        X