Separating upper from lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating upper from lower

I just purchased a upper se 106 drive and it’s on the way, I am trying to get the lower half prepped before it arrives but I am running into a problem, it will not separate. I double and triple checked to make sure I have every fastener off and I do. Any Suggestions

You should have removed a total 7 fasteners. From top side at the very forward point will be 1 nut, just aft of that will be a nut on both left and right side, on bottom about mid way will be another set with one on left and one on right, and for the "Easter egg hunt" with the trim tab removed look into it's recessed area and there will be another allen screw to remove, I say another as in addition to the one that holds the trim tab. Add all that jabber and it equals 7 fasteners. Well, since you already removed them all, now it turns into a highly delicate precision part so pay attention. Ready? Go get ahold of a rather large soft mallet and strike it, just dont start off to hard, only what is needed since after a while they do tend to "bond" together and have to be convinced that they need to come apart.

Have fun,
    Scott
    1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
    GMC 5.0 200hp
    SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

I am at work, I will go home and try it, Thanks

Comment

Thanks it worked, I have succesfully seperated the upper from the lower with out breaking it. Thanks again :P

Comment

No problem, glad to help. When you receive your new lower end make sure to take the time to put it on a stand and just stare at it, look it over for a while. Check it out and bond with it. Done? Now take the shifting splined shaft
          and rotate it Clockwise while rotating the propshaft Counter-clockwise and the prop shaft should lock. If that worked, do the opposite, shift shaft Counter-clockwise and rotate propshaft Closkwise, and again it should lock. I'm going to ask you to do one more thing, lock the lower unit into forward and then switch the lower to reverse. How many degrees did the shift shaft rotate when it locked? The average is found to be 50. If you go much farther you will have problems after installation. If it all checks out than enjoy and have fun, yee ha! :lol:
          Regards,
          Scott
          1988 21' Crestliner Cuddy Cabin
          GMC 5.0 200hp
          SE 106 Stern Drive

Comment

Working...
          X