low speed overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low speed overheating

TOOK THE BOAT OUT TODAY (THIRD TIME SINCE FITTING THE NEW 106 STILL ONLY 3 HOURS ON IT ) OVERHEATING AGAIN AT SLOW SPEED SO WE CAME HOME AND I PULLED THE DRIVE OFF AND CHECKED THE PUMP .
    ITS DEFINATLY BEEN HOT AS IT HAS MELTED THE PLASTIC GUIDE TUBE FOR THE COPPER WATER PIPE. BUT THE INTERESTING THING IS THAT THE IMPELLOR LOOKS OK . ITS A LITTLE BIT HARD AND HAS TAKEN A BIT OF A SET BECUASE ITS BEEN HOT BUT GENERALLY IT LOOKS FINE AND SHOULD PUMP RESONABLY WELL. I CHECKED TO MAKE CERTAIN THE RUBBER IMPELLOR IS STILL BONDED TO THE INNER BRASS CENTRE AND IT DEFINATLY IS , WITH NO MOVEMENT OR SLIPPING AT ALL. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE ISSUE WITH THESE PUMPS IS. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE PUMP HOUSING ITSELF IS NOT TIGHTENED SUFFICENTLY AT FACTORY ASSEMBLY AND THEREFORE WATER LEAKS BETWEEN THE GASKETS AND NOT FORCED THRU THE ENGINE. THE RETAINING NUTS ON MINE WERE QUITE LOOSE , ALSO WHEN RUNNING THE ENGINE ON MUFFS I WOULD GET A VERY STEADY STREAM OF WATER COMING FROM THE SMALL DRAIN HOLE AT THE LEADING EDGE OF THE GEARBOX JUST BELOW THE CAVITATION PLATE. THIS HOLE LEADS IN A OPEN SPACE INSIDE THE DRIVE AND SHOULDN'T BE PRESSURISED TO ANY EXTENT AS IT IS JUST A DRAIN. I WILL REPLACE THE IMPELLOR WITH A MERC ONE AND SEE HOW IT GOES BUT IF ANYONE HAS A DEFINATIVE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM THEN I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT
    TONY

Tony,
    Replacing the impeller should solve the problem. I would also check the rubber grommets and seals to make sure they are OK. The housing nuts usually seem a little loose upon removal as there torque value is low.

Tech Support

Comment

Tech Support,

I think I'm chasing the same problem as Tony, unfortunately my boating season has ended here in Ohio. Boat out of water and in storage for the long ugly winter.

I have pulled the drives off and will change the impellers. What specific rubber grommets and seals are you referring to?

Thanks Dan

Comment

Dan,

There are two seals and an o-ring for the water pump base, a rubber grommet in the top pump housing in the water outlet tube and a rubber
        "slinger" that slides over the drive shaft and sits on top of the housing.
        I would only be concerned if you had a severe overheat such as melting the guide tube.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks, now I understand what grommets and seals you referred to. Will split the drives and inspect and dismantle the pumps. Thanks again.
          Dan

Comment

Ok
            I Replaced The Impellor With A Siera One And Put 4 Hours On It Today And Temps Are Fine Both High And Low Speed. But It Still Dosn't Make Sense. What Is Wrong With The Original Impellor That Causes This Problem

Comment

Tony,
              It's hard to say what caused the high temps originally but once the impeller hardened it would not be efficient at low speeds. Glad to hear you are up and running now.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X