Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Cable Replacement - After New Drive Installation

Hi,
    I installed my new SEI drive, upper and lower portions. It went well, but while adjusting my shift cable, the end came off. (The shift cable from the back of the engine to the lower drive). There wasn't much cable left so I figured I ought to just replace it. Darn - and I was all ready to go in the water.

Got the parts, but now I can't get the drive off!! I pulled and pulled. I tried the technique outlined in your installation guide that uses a screwdriver handle/block of wood between the drive and the gimble ring to pop it loose. I'm pushing hard and I don't want to break something else. Is that normal?!?

I've had my old drive on and off several times before and I admit it's not really easy. I'm not a newbie - I've even swapped engines before. Has any other customer had trouble getting their new drive off? Am I just chicken? (After spending over $1200, I'm OK with chicken.)

Please advise if this is common to have such a hard time getting the drive off.
    Thanks,
    David Daily
    Lancaster, CA

David,
    Your most likely being to gentle. You can stand on the back of the drive and jump a little bit if thats what it takes. Another trick is to use the hydraulic trim cylinders to pop it off.
    If you have any more questions please give me a call.
    Tech Support
    727-461-0811
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Well the follow up is that in frustration I hauled it down to the local boat repair shop. My tech put a small piece of 2x4 at the top of the drive, between the gimble housing and the upper drive, and he ran up the trim. This popped the drive off in 30 seconds!! Nice technique!

The corroded condition of the rest of my drive, including the cable housing, convinced me to allow the expert to install my cable and adjust the shifting.

Another issue is the strange method of operation -- that cut-out switch actually that kills the engine momentarily to get it out of gear.

Thanks for your help. I've yet to get it in the water, but I'm still convinced that this is a superior product at a great price.
      David Daily
      Lancaster, CA

Comment

David,
        I'm glad everything worked out okay. The shift cutout switch is what makes it possible to shift out of gear. I have seen people with a bad switch actually break the shift cable trying to shift out of gear while the engine is running.
        Thanks,
        Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

It seems I'm learning more about this a piece at a time...
          I called my tech to find out status. He informed me that he had to disassemble the lower half from the upper because the brass shift shaft was apparently mis-indexed.

I followed the Alpha One Sterndrive Assembly Instructions on the website very carefully. It appears that section 2.6 may need some clarification. I've quoted it below:

:arrow: 2.6 (Above) With the screwdriver separating the drive a little bit, you can get the alignment on the brass shift shaft correct. Rotate the brass shift shaft clockwise. You will need to rotate the propshaft until you feel the clutch lock in. If the propshaft is ratcheting you are turning the wrong direction. The brass piece should be pointing straight ahead. If it is not you will need to pull the brass piece straight up to disengage the splines and rotate it to the straight forward position. Then push it straight down onto the splines.

It appears that there should be a line about pre-positioning the lower unit shift shaft before assembling the two pieces. This seems to have caused my problem. I noted that when I had the unit installed the shift cable seemed locked in place. Please update the documentation and advise.
          Thanks,
          David Daily

Comment

With the drive separated just slightly you are able to engage the splines on the brass shift lever and turn it. If it is not indexed properly you can then lift the brass shift lever up to disengage the splines, then lower it back down onto the splines and check the orientation. If you set the lower shift shaft first, there is a possiblity of it moving as your putting the halves together.
            Thanks for the input,
            Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X