bellows replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bellows replacement

Which method is correct? when replacing the bellows, (1) removing the IO at the bell-housing 6 bolts, or (2) removing the two hinge pins at the gimbal Jt?. THANKS JD (PS this is a alpha 1 I/O )
    Last edited by jd mullins; 01-08-2007, 01:27 PM.

Bellows replacement

when you go to replace your gimbal bellows you are going to want to pull the drive unit off . If the unit is a Alpha one drive you will want to make sure that you put the shift control into forward gear. After removing the trim cylinders drop the drive down as low as it will go, if it is going to hit the ground just stick a board under the skeg. Remove the six bolts and slide the drive off. The drive should slide off easy if the input shaft splines are well greased and the engine alignment is on. after removing the drive remove the trim sending unit sensors from the side of the gimbal housing, be sure to make a mark on them so as to make alignment easier when installing them . If you are extremly careful you should not have to remove the shift cable, you might want to loosen up the exhaust bellows clamp and gimbal bellows clamp befor you pull the bolts out this will make it easier for you. When you get the housing off and the old bellows off clean up the flanges good and MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE BELLOWS ADHESIVE, this not only seals iit but acts as a lube to help slide it into place. Proceed to put the rest of it back together just like it came off. Make sure to use new gaskets and grease the u-joints and input shaft as well as the shift rod. I know this sounds like alot but i have replaced probably a hundred of these over the years good luck.

Comment

Paul, thank you for the come back, you straighten out some confusion on my part. JD

Comment

your welcome

jd if you have any questions feel free to fire me an email, hope it helped .

Comment

Working...
        X