Trouble Shooting New SE116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Shooting New SE116

I just had a new SE116 installed about three weeks ago. The drive made a considerable vibration when in gear. I attributed to the break in period, as I had read about on here. I completed the initial 10 hour breakin instructions and pulled the boat to drain the drive oil and refil. There was a significant amout of metal shavings in the old oil. I relaunched the boat, it is very quiet and smooth at idle...quieter than it was with the old drive. But as soon as I put it in gear it now has a huge vibration. Enough to rattle pretty much everything on the boat including my head. Interestingly the vibration decreases if I trim the drive up some....but it never goes away.

I am thinking that the upper drive is fine and the coupler is fine too based on how quiet and smooth it opperates at idle. I have not hit anything either. I think that a bearing might be bad in the lower unit or maybe even the shaft might be tweaked?

I am in the military and stationed in Hawaii. So I don't get to use the boat often (I am gone alot) and I would really like to get this resolved to so I can start using my boat again. Thank you.

Scott

Scott,
    Check your prop to make sure it is OK and not running out of true. You can also check the prop shaft to see if it is running true. I suspect the vibration is coming from the u-joints. Check and see if there is any side to side play between the u-joints and the yokes. We do not lap our gears so fine metal shavings are to be expected, you need only be concerned if you encounter any chunks.
    If you can isolate a problem in the drive we can have you return it for warranty repair. Please email me at warranty@sterndrive.cc

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X