Strange Noise in new SE116

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Noise in new SE116

My mechanic has just finished up the installation of the new SE116 we purchased and I was getting ready to start the break in procedure. I hooked the boat up at the house before going into the water and ran it a little bit to see how it was doing before dropping it in the water.

The SE116 seems to make a kind of "Pah-Tink" type of noise on each revolution. It isn't very loud (probably can't be heard if the drive is in the water) but it concerns me. It changes with the speed of revolution as well. It almost sounds like something is either lose or bouncing around in the lower unit. The prop turns very smoothly though. Engaging FORWARD or REVERSE also seems much louder then with my old Merc Alpha 1 Gen II.

Hmm, a poster in 04/2005 seemed to have a similar noise he called a CLICKING noise in forward or reverse. I wonder if this is the same type of noise I am hearing, just described differently. It is kind of a clicking noise, but it has an initial noise that happens right before the click - thus the "pa-tink" type of noise

Comment

Twizted,
      Double check your shift cable adjustment to make sure it is set properly, if it is off that could cause the clutch to ping against the gear. If that checks out I would put it in the water. Having a load on the prop will push the lower drive shaft up and eliminate any movement in it as that may be the sound you are hearing.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X