power steering fluid leaking out of cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering fluid leaking out of cap

I have a 1985 chriscraft with a mercruser alpha drive and 5.0L V8: Problem when I run it for an hour or so all of the power steering fluid pumps out of the cap! I replaced the cap but it still dose this its like ther is some kind of back presser on the system it dose not do it at idle so i assume that it is when its reved up and being turned back and forth under a load. Any Ideas? thanks

Usually fluid coming out of the reservoir cap is a sign of air or water in the system. You might have to look at replacing the pump.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The pump looks like a standard automotive style pump dose it have to be marine or will any pump work?

Comment

It is not electrical, so I would guess an automotive one would work. I am not sure if there would be a difference in the pressures though? Might be worth some more research.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X