New lower unit installed, 1 problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lower unit installed, 1 problem.

I had the lower unit installed last weekend and he said the lower unit pressure test failed. There seems to be gear lube leaking somewhere.

I can see gear lube come out of the drain hole.

What are the possible causes of gear lube getting back into the boat?

KineticMedia

One possibility is that the quad ring that goes inbetween the upper and lower is not seated properly.
    What drainhole is the oil coming out of?
    If you want you can give me a call at 727-461-0811 and ask for Tech.
    Thanks,
    Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

It is coming out of the bildge drain.

I am going to check to night how fast it is leaking.

KineticMedia

Comment

It would also be a good idea to check the oil level in the sterndrive. With the drive trimmed doen, pull the plug out of the side of the upper housing and see if the oil is full. It should be just to the bottom of the threads.
        Then put the upper plug back in, and remove the bottom plug and see if there is water in the oil.
        Tech
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

OK I did some more research tonight. I drained the gear lube and it looks a bit lighter green than it did originally. I have read that if its milk white it is bad, but what if it just got a bit lighter? Is that normal?

I opened up the engine compartment and there was a puddle of gear lube underneath my engine.

KineticMedia

Comment

Give me a call tomorrow and we'll figure it out.
            Thanks,
            Tech Support
            727-461-0811

Comment

Working...
            X