Whine/Hard Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whine/Hard Crank

Have just installed my outdrive and run in driveway only. I am also experiencing a loud whine out of my drive. Gimbal bearing is good, had it inspected before installing my drive. It also seems like I can't get the motor to crank over as fast, so I'm having some issues with starting.

Whine going into neutral

My outdrive was put in last year and I have not had any problems or noise until yesterday. I noticed several times (not all of the time) that when I put my boat into neutral from drive or reverse there was a whining/scratching/high pitched noise it made. It stopped once in neutral. Needing to know what is causing this sound.
    Thanks!

Comment

If there is whining on a new drive I would not be too concerned as the gears do need time to break in.
      Also Idling in neutral can cause some more noise because the gears have no load on them and the driveshaft floats. Once a load is applied the driveshaft will raise up and the backlash on the gears will be normal.

Make sure and check the lower drain plug for metal. If it has real fine pieces you are okay, if there are any chunks then there could be an issue in the drive.
      If the Motor will not crank over at a normal speed I would consider checking the batter to make sure it is up to par.

Tech Support
      Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

One more thing

Yes, as you described it is louder in neutral, shifting into gear quiets it right down.
        Changing the battery did help and now that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The only other thing that I noticed now that I have had it in the water is when I'm on plane and turn even the slightest, I get a noise that is "different" than going strait. Its a bit louder and a different pitch. I can live with it, just want to make sure that nothing is wrong.

Comment

The noise you are hearing is probably just the u-joints working. You should not have any problems.

Tech Support

Comment

U-Joints

How often do you recommend taking the drive off and greasing the U-Joints?

Comment

You should grease the u-joints and shaft splines yearly.

Comment

Working...
              X