Changing out the yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing out the yoke

Ok...bought just the upper drive and got everything set to install but we were hung up on matching the new yoke into the coupler. It just wouldn't fit. Thought about filing the splines down but we just switched the new with the old - went right in - no problems. Ran it and so far so good! I thought I got most of the 'old' gear lube out but some must have remained because we ran the boat for 3 hours yesterday - checked to see if the lube was milky and is was. Not as bad as it was prior to getting a new upper drive, but still milky. So I drained that out and put new in again. Will check after another two-three hours and see what we have. I suspect it's still left over from the bad unit as it went places it shouldn't have.

My question is, did we do right by switching out the new yoke with the old? Do you see any problems that might arise from doing this?

Should I wait two to three hours of run time to see if the gear lube is still milky or if it's 'getting cleaner'?

When we ran the boat the top cap on the upper drive was 'very warm'. I suspect that is normal but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Changing the yoke should not cause any problems. You may have to change the gear lube a couple more times to get out all the water. Make sure your u-joint bellows are not leaking as this will let water into the drive. It is normal for the upper cap to get warm. Some people install a drive shower to cool the upper drive.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X