possible bad bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible bad bearing

Put on new 106 and it sounded pretty rough your staff said to ckeck gimbal bearing. Took it to a marine mechanic and he checked the bearing and alignment all is fine. After running the outdrive it seemed not to bad at first but as it warmed up the noise started to get worse. The mechanic and two others say the sound is more like bearings than gears. They say it sounds like a possible bearing problem in the top end,in the opinion of the mechanic the top end of the outdrive sounds excessivly loud. upon running the top cover plate was getting quite hot.The oil has no chunks of metal just fine dust grey in color.Oil was at the correct level there is about 4 hours on the drive.Going on a 8 day boat trip,is this something that i should worry about.worried that if it is a bearing the outdrive could seize up or break down.

You can remove the top cap on the upper and inspect the top bearing and race for any discoloration or unusual wear. The drives do make some noise during the break in period.

Tech Support

Comment

have fun

so your company is saying to go have fun and let the unit break in and not worry about the sounds.Do i understand you?

Comment

You can give our office a call at 727-461-0811 between 8AM and 5PM Eastern time and we can arrange for you to send the unit in.

Tech Support

Comment

odds

I leave for trip Thursday so I doubt the exchange could happen in time, but seriously do you think there is a problem, what are the odds of a bad unit or am i paranoid.What is the success rate.

Comment

We have a very good success rate with our drives. We get very few warranties in. As with any product you can have a component fail or suffer from customer abuse.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X