Paint Chipping Off upper and lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Chipping Off upper and lower unit

I bought both upper and lower units (SE 106) in Late 2005. Drive performed great from the start. Took the boat in for some routine maintenance and the mechanic was giving me "stuff" about my outdrive; saying "what did you buy that piece of junk for?" I was quick to defend because I never had a problem with it. I asked him why he thought it was "junk". He told me every one of these drives he seen, eventually, the paint start chipping and falling off. At that time, my drive was only about 2 months old.

Fast forward to last season, paint started chipping and falling off (just as he warned) in specific spots on the upper and lower drives. My brother-in-law, who originally told me about Sterndrive Engineering and also purchased a SE 106, also has experienced the same issues with the paint and has had to repaint his several times since he bought it.

This season it is very bad, the drive looks down-right ugly. NO paint remains on the upper drive "cap". It's a shame because the drive actually performs very well. I know I'm not the only one having this issue because myself, my brother-in-law, and the experience from my mechanic have all had (or seen) the same paint chipping issues. I'm not talking regular wear and tear (near the prop where the lower unit goes through sand). It's mainly where the upper and lower unit come together and on top of the upper unit. I can provide pictures if needed.

I've noticed you've changed your warranty since I bought it so I am no longer under warranty. Why do you think the paint chips off? My old Mercruiser outdrive that I replaced with the SE 106 never had that issue and it was over 10 years old. Besides where I had gone through sand, my old drive was still all black.

I live here local near Tampa and am happy to support a local company so the real purpose of this post is to inform you of this issue so you can make modifications in the way you paint the drives. Like I said before, it's a shame your drive performs so well but looks so bad.

A Concerned Customer

I'm sorry to hear of your paint issues. We have changed our painting process and find it to be much more durable.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X