Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break in - can't break 2000 rpm

Had 106 installed by Merc mechanic, but rpms are topping out
    at 2000. It's on a 24ft Searay, and she's lumbering.
    Any ideas what I can do to fix problem? Throttle issue?
    prop? gas?

How long has it been since the last time the engine as been run? Did you ever run the boat or did you buy it with a bad outdrive and this is the first time you've had it out? It could be just about anything. I assume you have a 260 HP engine so the ratio should be a 1.47 to 1. That is the lowest ratio we make, so I do not think that you have the wrong ratio.

I think it would have to be an engine problem, something is causing it to make less horsepower. I would start with hooking up a fresh fuel supply.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

more details.

Boat drydocked since last September when the outdrive went. Before the outdrive went, the engine was cranking at 3500, no problem, but couldn't hold because of the damaged outdrive.
      Over winter, there was still half tank of gas leftover.
      Outdrive replaced w SE106 in June. Gas filter was changed, ran old gas down at half throttle to quarter tank during break-in period. I added half tank of new gas to test at full/alternating half/full throttle as you recommended.
      This is when I became aware the rpm maxed out at 2000.

Comment

Don,t forget the filter at the carb,and check to make sure none of your fuel lines are collapsed on the inside . Good luck

Comment

The problem should be with the engine or fuel system. Make sure your fuel vent is unclogged. You may have to have the engine checked by a mechanic.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X