Initial running in period – bearing sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial running in period – bearing sound

I have just received and fitted two of your legs to my vessel in the UK. I am running the legs presently out of the water (with muffs for coolant). In the first initial minutes of running the legs in I am hearing a slight varying bearing noise (relatively minor) from the upper half of the drive and the temperature of the upper gear box cover is getting warm quickly (but not to hot to touch). I have checked the oil level since the noise began and it is fine. My question is; is this normal during the initial running in period or should I be making further investigations?

They will usually be a little louder at first, but after the gears and bearing break in, the noise should quiet down some. I would put it in the water and get some good break in time. Remember to not go more than 3/4 throttle for the first 5- 7 hours, and for the next few hours limit your full throttle runs.
    Thanks,
    Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
    X