New lower unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New lower unit.

I finally got my new SE 116 lower installed on my older model Gen II. My speedometer pickup connector had already been changed to the new style sometime back, so no problem there. The older Gen II's did not use a bolt in the front mounting hole, but had a stud installed. No mention of this by SEI prior to purchase. I could not get the stud out, so I had to figure out what size bolt to use and went and got SS bolt and washer. Filled unit with gear grease and headed to the lake. I was about half paranoid about the unit not holding up. I spent about 15 minutes in the no-wake zone at the ramp just idling around and shifting forward to reverse and back. Good oil pressure, temperature OK, fully charged battery and a cooler full of Diet Dr. Pepper. Let's go!
    Eased down on the throttle and went. Is that a humming I hear? Can't tell for sure. Might just be the George Straight turned up too loud. Is that a vibration I feel? Can't tell. It IS pretty windy today and that 2 foot chop is definitely not normal for a reservoir in central Kentucky. Sure hope it's not the lower unit, but I just don't see how they can make it so inexpensive and still believe in their product enough to offer a 3-year warranty. Let's give it a while and see what happens.
    After 6 hours of the break in period, being religous about my RPM's and babying the outdrive, I think, no - I KNOW my performance has increased. The boat is shifting smoother and quieter than it used to, my planing time has decreased from about 8 or 9 seconds down to about 5 or 6 seconds. I couldn't tell for sure because of the choppy water, but I don't think the boat is porpoising as bad as it used to, either.
    I will finish the break in in two weeks and let you know.

front bolt

I also have to find a front bolt for the outdrive. Do you remember size and lenght. thanks

Comment

The stainless steel bolt is a 7/16"-14 x 1 3/4".

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
      X