Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No foreward / reverse

Hello,
    I was cruising @ around 30 mph in twenty feet and lost both foreward and reverse gears engine reved up and no more drive, the water pump in the lower unit still is operational just replaced it, only have a couple of miles on after rebuild but maybe a mile into the trial run lower unit hit sand bar and killed engine was at slow speed, only small knick on prop, cuold this have started the failure and how do I tell what the problem is when shifter is in foreward and reverse prop spins freely with some clunking.

Tony

Verify that when helm is in forward your shift shaft on drive is pointing straight forward. If it is you should not be able to turn prop shaft counter clockwise. Turning clockwise it will ratchet. You can call 727-461-0811 and ask for tech support.

Tech Support

Comment

No foreward / reverse

When helm in foreward shift shaft does point straight foreward the prop will turn counter clockwise, not smoothly little resistance. when helm in reverse the prop will turn clockwise, not smoothly same as foreward. water pump is operational could the shaft have snapped below the waterpump or maybe another issue.
      Tony

Comment

You can remove the lower half of the drive and see if turning the drive shaft will drive the prop. If it does not you have either a broken shaft or stripped pinion gear.

Tech Support

Comment

No foreward / reverse

I dropped the lower unit the drive shaft is not snapped so you stated that the pinion could be stripped, when manually engageing the shift prop shaft will not lock into either gear just clicks, when I drained the oil first only water came out then the oil but the oil looked OK not milky or steaked look like I just added it which I did right before the failure.

Comment

Something is broken in the lower unit and it will have to be disassembled to find the damage.

Tech Support

Comment

Message from Kenric Smith

Keep in mind that your engine coupler could also be stripped if the drive took an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenric Smith View Post
                Keep in mind that your engine coupler could also be stripped if the drive took an impact.
                Not if the water pump is still working.

Comment

Working...
                X